Wednesday, March 10, 2010

School.

I havent blogged in a while and I thought I would take a minute to share my exciting news...I'm going back to school!! I am sooo very excited about this for a couple reasons: 1) I LOVE school...call me a dork but I love to learn! I love to sit in class and take notes, I love to read, I just love everything about it, and 2) I feel like I am actually doing something with my life (finally!)...I mean besides getting an Associates Degree in Arts and Science, and working in the restaurant business for years and years, there is not much I can say I have accomplished...and I desperately want to change that.
I have decided to become a Registered Nurse. Now, I know some peoples jaws just dropped because I plug my ears and shut my eyes whenever anyone around me even jokes about needing to throw up, but I really can do it! I mean, its just puke...its not gonna kill me. And, Im all good with blood and guts and needles, its just the puking that makes me a little grossed out. And I thought about it and not EVERY speciality in nursing requires you to be around puking people. I know during your school and training you have to do a rotation in almost every speciality, but after that I think I am going to plant myself in either Pediatrics, OB, Surgery, Psych, or the ICU. Or maybe once I get into the schooling and start to do my rotations I will find a speciality that I absolutely love. Plus, I talked with an old friend who is already an RN, and she said if you get burnt out on one speciality you can always switch to another one.
School wise, I have about 3 years until I will be completely finished and ready to take my board exams to get my lisense. I know it seems like a while, but I know it will be completely worth it. I know it will definately be challenging and time consuming but I am looking forward to it sooo much. To be honest, I really dont have much of a life right now besides working, so I have lots of time and energy to put towards my schooling. I am actually a very good student (atleast in the past)....I received an Academic Scholership when I applied and got accepted to PLU when I was planning on majoring in Psychology. I was part of the National Honor Society and the Deans List the entire time I went to Pierce while I was getting my AA. I graduated with Honors with a Cumulative GPA of 3.8 in 2005. I take great pride in my schoolwork, and I put everything I have into it. I am VERY excited for this new journey.
I have decided once I do graduate, I definately want to work in a hospital, preferably Tacoma General, Good Sam, St. Joes, or Allenmore. Or, if Harborview in Seattle offered me a job I would probably take it because its the best hospital in the state. People travel from Oregon and Alaska and a few other states to receive treatment at Harborview, so I think it would be very exciting to work there although I already know I will probably not ever have a desire to work in the Emergency Room at any hospital.
Anyway, wish me luck everyone! This is actually something I am proud of and I will follow thru with, I know I have dabbled in alot of career fields in the past couple years, but for some reason I just know I will end up being a Registered Nurse. I feel it in my bones. =)

1 comment:

Watkins Clan said...

Yay Janine! I'm so proud you're going back to school, this is a great step in a good direction. I think in the end you will like this better than being a flight attendant!