Saturday, December 13, 2008

Great Day!

This day was wonderful (Friday). Both Dorin and I had the day off, along with both his parents, so Jody and I planned to have a "cookie day" and make cookies together all day. The purpose of this was for a few reasons: 1" She is really sincerely trying to help me learn how to cook and bake more (my mom never taught me), 2) Having cookies made for her upcoming Work Christmas party on Sunday, and 3)to just have fun and make cookies together.

I got there around 11am. It was perfect timing, as soon as I got there Jody had just gotten home from the store where she picked up the rest of the ingredients we needed for the cookies we were making. We planned on making 4 different kinds of cookies today: these cherry bars Jody loved as a child, peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip, chocolate no-bake cookies, and fudge.

Well, we only made the cookies and saved the fudge for another day because the peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies took alot longer than expected due to the thickness and cumbliness of them while we were trying to form them into cookies, but once they baked they were perfect (we were fearful that they would fall apart).

While we were making cookies Dorin and his dad were outside doing some things together. Once they came in and we finished the cookies, it was time for a little bit of housework. Dorins house is NEVER messy, but its that way because we all keep it really clean and straightened up. I decided I would vacume the entire house (like I have done many times) because I thought that would really help Jody out...I know she doesnt enjoy vacuuming the carpet and floors, so I did it. She didnt thank me but I think she really appreciated it because like 10 minutes after that she came into Dorins room where we were both making the bed and folding laundry, and she said, "So, would you guys like to go pick up Tanner together and then go to the Spaghetti Factory for dinner?" and we both were like, "Yeah!" I just thought it would be super nice and fun, plus its one of Dorins alltime favorite restaurants and we have never been there together, so I was really excited to go.

So, we went to pick up Tanner from daycare at about 2:30-3pm, and headed to Tacoma for dinner, Dorin and I thought it was a little early for going to dinner, but his dad likes to eat kind of early, plus we didnt have to want to wait forever for a table, so we headed to Tacoma. Well, when we got there, we realized from the sign on the door that the restaurant didn't open for dinner until 5pm...and it was only 3:50, so we decided to go to Freighthouse Square right down the street for a little while, and just walk around and look in the little shops until it was time for dinner.

When we got to Freighthouse Square, Tanner was definately ready to get out of the car, he wasn't fussy or anything but 45 minutes is definately longer than he is used to be in the car at one time (atleast when he is with us), so we started to walk around. The place was really empty, like almost zero people, which I thought was kind of weird, but also good because we had lots of room to run around. We walked around for a while but got bored kind of quickly, Jody said that the place had really gone down hill since the last time she had been there, and I could understand why. There wasn't much to look at, but it was still kind of fun and it wasted time.

So, finally we go back to the restaurant for dinner and there are tons of people in the lobby already waiting, thankfully there is still one bench open (right next to a lightened-up Chistmas tree) to we all sat down, I sat right next to the Christmas tree with Tanner so he would stay entertained (we still had like 20 minutes until we could get seated because it wasnt 5pm yet). The tree worked as a distraction for a little bit, but then we had to get some his toys out of the diaper bag so he could play. During this time, I also took him to the bathroom to change his diaper just for something to do to waste time...lol.

Once we were seated, Tanner started to get restless for a little while but he quickly calmed down. He is alot more behaved than some other children I have seen his age at Red Robin. He just played with his toys and stuff until the food came. We were happy because he really liked his food (sometimes he will hardly eat anything), but he ate pretty good. We got him milk to drink, spaghetti with meat sauce and applesauce (which they brought first, which was good). Then of course we all got spumoni ice cream for dessert which was so yummy! Tanner didnt eat one bite of his (he isn't really into sweets, he would much rather have fruit than a cookie or ice cream). Overall, it was such a nice dinner. But I have to say, I have noticed that going out to dinner once you have a young child to take care of and be responsible for is ALOT different than just going out to dinner with adults. Most of my time was filled with making sure than Tanner was behaving, not eating his crayons (LOL), and not choking on his food (I have a phobia about that). I mean, I really did still super enjoy myself, and of course Dorin helped ALOT too, but its just different once you have a child, your focus is more on your child than on conversation.

But like I said, overall it was such a nice dinner.

Once we got home, we showed Tanner the lit up Christmas tree and all the Christmas decorations and then pretty much immediately gave him a bath. We knew he was getting tired (even though it was only 7pm), he had had a long day at daycare and then was out with us for the night so I thought he would really enjoy (even more than usual) a nice bath, which he did. He loves his baths. He loves to play and just be in the water. After that was jammy time...so we got him in his jammies and then we all decided to rent "Fred Clause" off of On Demand and watch it. Whenever we watch a movie all together out in the living room Dorin and I take most of the blankets and pillows off his bed and make a bed out on the floor for him, Tanner, and I.

It was such a good and funny movie. Tanner had grapes (his absolute favorite) while watching the movie...and played for the rest of the time while we were watching it, so I didn't get to catch all of the movie, but I got most of it. It was a really good Christmas movie...completely funny but also a good Christmas movie.

After the movie, Tanner said goodnight to Nana and Papa and we went into our room for bedtime. Tanner and I now have a tradition that I sing him Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (his favorite song) to him while he is falling asleep, and if I stop before his is asleep, he will say "Please" which means for me to keep singing. It really works good for him falling asleep, the past couple weekends I have started singing it to him and he has been falling asleep alot faster.

After Tanner fell asleep Dorin and I just snuggled and watched some TV.

Overall, it was a really, really good day.

I really consider Dorins family my immediate family more than my own family right now, due to some things going on at home. I am always at Dorins, the only time I am here is when I sleep. I guess my dad and I have a kind of relationship where we just cant live together, so Im really looking forward to saving money like crazy after Christmas and moving out with Dorin on our own again. We have already started looking at houses and apartments. We would prefer to rent a house, but we like some appartments too.

Okay well goodnight.

1 comment:

Watkins Clan said...

A house is great because it's usually more room... but some bonus about apartments... less money to heat... some apartments cover water bill/trash. Rent is usually cheaper.. and a good starter place. Tanner was so cute in the picture. Yeah, it's so different traveling with kids. Fortunately our kids are older so I don't worry about them eating canyons and choking as much... it gets easier.. but now with a baby on the way... I'll worry for sure.. and be really preoccupied.. but it's good you're taking him to restaurants when he's young so he can learn proper restaurant behavior. Whenever we go to restaurants now Josh tells them "restaurant manners" and they understand what that means... no fits, no screaming.. nothing they're awesome.