Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Unappreciated Help

Tonight was frustrating, but I'm learning to not let things bug me as much as they used to. Here is was happened.

Dorin and I both had today off, I called off of work because it was going to be slow and his boss was having surgery so he didn't have to work. So, I slept in for a bit, talked to Cheryl for an hour, got dressed and went over to Dorins house.

Well, when I got there Jody was home because she didn't work til' 3 pm (she worked 3pm to 7 pm tonight). I got there about 1:30. Dorin and I decided to go out to lunch about 15 minutes after I got there so we went and got teriaki, ate, and came home. Well, I had leftovers of my fried rice because they gave me so much, so I asked her if she would like to take it to work so she could eat on her break, but she said no because she had just eaten.

Anyway, on our way home from getting lunch we saw a "For Rent" sign on a house at the end of Dorins little road (which is super, super close to his parents house, like probably 10 seconds driving distance) but I got the number anyway and called when we got back home. I called on it and got the information about it, but later Dorin told me that he thought it was too close to his parents house and he didn't want to schedule an appointment to look at it or anything. I agreed after thinking about it.

Well, right before Jody left for work she told Dorin that she wanted him to take out the garbage and recyling, clean up Tanners room, clean the guest bathroom, and clean up his own room (which wasn't even messy at all), put up and assemble the Christmas tree (its fake) and she also mentioned, "And the carpet couldn't hurt being vacuumed either." It kind of irritated me that she told him to do all those things because she had been sitting at home ALL day on the couch doing NOTHING. Why couldn't she vacuum? But, I understand that Dorin had the day off and she had to work (on of the 2 days a week that she works) so she wanted Dorin to do housework. Also, she likes Dorin to help out around the house ALOT which he does.

So anyway, she left for work. Well, we decided that we wanted to go down to Orting to look at houses down there that were for rent (we are planning to move within 2-3 months max). After we were done looking at the houses, we decided to go to town to Costco to get this cookbook for his mom for Christmas that she wants.

While we were there, he was very considerate (in my opinion) and called her at work and asked her if she needed anything at Costco. She told him to get milk and to get something easy for dinner. Well, he got the milk but we really couldn't find anything for dinner that she would really like, so we left.

We came home around 5:30pm and started on the list of chores. I took out the garbage and recyling bins, cleaned the guest bathroom, started to clean up Tanners room, he put up and assembled the tree, vacuumed the floor, we cleaned up his room together, and did everything else that she asked. In addition to that, I also took the clothes out of the dryer for her and folded them, I started a load of her laundry for her that was in the alundry room, I put the dishes that were in the sick in the dishwasher and started it, I put away the clean dishes that were in the dish rack (that we hand wash), I wiped down all the counters, I tidied up the living room, I fed the dog, Dorin fed the outside dog, and I fed the cat. I pretty much did EVERYTHING I could think of so that the house was completely SPOTLESS when she got home so that she would be in a good mood, and I was happy that I had done something nice for her.

Well, when she got home it seemed like she didn't even notice all the work I/we did. Instead of being appreciative for everything that we had done, she was automatically in a horrible mood because there was nothing made for her for dinner. She was in such a bad mood, she even said to Dorins dad, "Well it pisses me off that I come home from work and have to figure out something to eat for dinner." Well, its not like she had to make dinner for all of us. We had all already eaten. Dorin and I had leftovers from our lunch, and Dorins dad made himself some chili when he got home from work about 20 minutes before Jody.

I was just so frustrated, she was in a horrible mood for the rest of the night. Not one thank you, not even one ACKNOWEDGEMENT that we had done anything, even though we had done everything AND some. But I know for a fact that if we HADN'T done EVERYTHING on that list of chores, she would have completely bitched about it, its like she will totally complain if it doesn;t get done, but doesn't even say thank you for it getting done.

I mean, I don't even live there and I was doing her household cleaning chores for her..and she acted like I didn't exist because Dorin and I didn't pick up anything for dinner. Its like instead of being grateful and appreciative for everything that we DID do for her, she immediately is negative and pissed off about the ONE thing that we DIDN'T do.

I don't know, it just kind of bugs me. I know it shouldn't. I have done tons of cleaning things in her house right in front of her before while not living there and NOT ONCE has she EVER said "Thank You" or even acknowledged that I did anything.

Whatever. Another Day in the Life I guess.

Dorin is amazing though, he is the sweetest boyfriend in the world and I am so grateful and blessed to have him in my life, so even if I have to deal with these kinds of things for the rest of my life (because I know I will), its okay because to me, he and our relationship is completely worth it to me.

You take the good with the bad I guess.

1 comment:

Watkins Clan said...

Kind of makes you wonder how did Dorin turn out so sweet being raised by a witch... well it seems like damned if you do damned if you don't. I wouldn't expect to be thanked when you do things. So 2-3 months moving out, awesome!! So I'll definitely see you in a few months in the spring... I'm thinking Aprilish coming to visit..